Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Amazing day of help

Wow, what a day! So exciting. I am keeping a journal, started last night - the first line was "Maing a documentary is exhausting." And man is it. But also truly exciting to live in this world of passion and also, it was abject fear, now it's just low level panic. I am also trying to figure out how to keep everyone informed everywhere: here, the project site, in kickstarter, Facebook and twitter...THAT alone is a full time job. I feel as if the next invention is a format that encompasses it all. Maybe that is called "an assistant." It turns out that one of out True Blood producers is producing a TV show on elephant ivory and rhino horn poaching in Kenya august-september. Sound familiar??? I am was like, WTF?! So we've joined forces. Actually I have been adopted by them as they are much further ahead and bigger than I after years of getting this off the ground. But they turned me on to to many very cool things. Check out www.wildlifeworks.com - Now THAT is the way to do a clothing line! Where everyone from the land, to the workers, to the consumer all win. Really really beautiful. Also, do you remember that movie "I dream of Africa"? It is about Kuki Gallmann's life played by Kim Bassinger and I may be going to see her, if we can. I'd be honored to meet her and see her place. She's lost 36 elephants this year alone to poaching. http://www.gallmannkenya.org/index.html I also had a meeting with a really great editor and we talked at lenghth about my story and what we need to be thinking about now, with our cameras, during the shoot to make a great story. I am very very tired but am also very very grateful to all the wondeful people I am meeting and how so many want to help. I asked the producer today at lunch why that is that so many openly help and she said because so many know we've reached a fork in the road - a tipping point - where we must unite if we want to have elephants survive in the wild as nature intended. She told me today that there are no more rhinos left in the wild. They have all been killed. Last year I had heard there were four left and those apparently are now gone. They only remian in protected sanctuaries and are gaurded 24-7. And two species have gone extinct in the last year. This is a very sad statement. I am very curiuos about why we do this to animals, tress, the ocean, the air...each other. History shows what we do. All of us. Me too. This is a story about poaching but it begs a larger queation about the human animal. I intend to go on a journey pulling that thread and I hope we can come together with answers and questions - and also make a good movie. Love, Kristin LINK TO KICKSTARTER: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/90829120/kristin-bauers-out-for-africa-documentary www.OutForAfrica.com

4 comments:

  1. So sad, and sickening. Poachers have some important part of being human missing inside them. I have no idea how anyone could do such a thing. Thank you for your work on this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very much look forward to reading your updates! Thank you for your devotion to helping those who cannot help themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an amazing thing you are doing! Im so proud to have had the chance to help!

    ReplyDelete